View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
in this day of online ordering, it is easier to sample strings made in other parts of the globe than it used to be.
Actually, I think that it has become more normal to consider their origin. Before, you walked into a store and bought or sampled what they had, without questioning much where they came from unless you had a bit of a chauvinist streak or the opposite ("made in my country == better" vs. "anything that comes from far away is better"). Of course, what has also become easier is ordering abroad; ordering my strings in Japan was just as streamlined as ordering them from my usual vendor here in France ... and a lot cheaper than ordering the same strings in Germany. Though I must say I already ordered my violin strings from Aquila in the early nineties (probably by phone or fax), before most had ever even heard of the internet and WWW.

(And my previous comment must have trodded on the devil's tail: I got a reply from Martin just now. Not a very useful one, but still a reply.)

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)