View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 09:13 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Since I am all jolly and full of holiday spirit at the moment, I'll add something that occurred to me as this thread and the wine were mulling...

I do think that being able to adjust the neck angle on a guitar is a reasonable design goal, and I can see how some people would like that capability. But if so, ask for that rather than asking for a truss rod in the neck. That's not the primary reason truss rods are used in wooden neck guitars, and they simply won't work the same way on a carbon fiber neck. CF doesn't have the flexibility that is needed for a truss rod to work. It's too stiff.

There have been a number of patents on designs to do this, but they haven't been widely adopted for the obvious reasons... they add expense and complexity to the instrument, and most players just don't care that much.
You may want to more fully review the facts.

1) Relief does change on the Cargo neck with heavier gauge strings. Based on measurable observation their necks do flex, despite your opinion. The only way to deal with this is to add a truss rod.

2) The neck/body "area" (it's not a joint) also flexes. If the initial angle can be made to be correct (which I assume it can), then this area needs to be reinforced to prevent the flexing. Through this thread we understand that Peavey might actually be addressing this issue. Good for them.

A neck-angle adjustment mechanism is somewhat extraneous to this discussion...although some of these mechanisms, when designed & installed properly on wood guitars have proved very functional. I'm not sure what the added cost is for a feature such as this (on a wood guitar), but I'm guessing in the $500-1000 range in a non-mass-production environment. To add something like this to a Cargo (for example) might mean a complete re-design for there to actually *be* some sort of neck-block/head-block on the guitar.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner