Thread: Fishman Solo
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 10:57 PM

Having been a participant in the design of the largest line array system ever put on stage...the Grateful Dead's "Wall of Sound," I cannot agree with any disparaging comments about line arrays, per se. Line arrays do indeed project better than point sources or near point sources. It's not opinion, its the facts of physics and sound propagation. You may compare one brand of one type of speaker unfavorably with another, but don't paint all line arrays or any other type of speaker cabinet with so broad a brush. There are a multitude of factors to apply here...power, driver efficiency, polar pattern, frequency response, placement of the drivers, etc.

I've used the Bose systems in a number of applications, and within reasonable limits, I've never had a problem or been disappointed. I do want to design a good platform to put the base of the column up on top of a couple of sub-woofers; I don't like the system down on a floor firing into a bunch of audience legs and torsos, but if you get the thing up so mid column is about at audience ear level...or go a bit higher and aim down, it should be fantastic.

I also don't agree that the thing has a "Bose sound". It sounds very smooth and flat within a broad midrange and it's pretty decent up to about 10K. I'd love to hear one with four subwoofers. That would be "da bomb".