View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 10:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Higham View Post
How do you differentiate between a violin and a fiddle. As far as I know it's the same instrument. Classical players call it a violin; those who play traditional music, folk, bluegrass, old-time, etc call it a fiddle. Trad musicians also sometimes use different tunings and have different styles of playing but it's the same instrument. I have a friend who plays both, so when he changes from classical to trad does his violin become a fiddle?
They are all fiddles, but the violin is a conservative and specific subset. Any violin can be set up to work as a fiddle, but not all fiddles can be set up to be successful as a violin.

In the case at hand, V8’s top got a bit too thin at some points, which should result in a slightly inadequate focus in the tone, but it is a warm and very pleasing sound none the less. I will likely string V9 In the next few days, and it will be very interesting to see how they compare. I will give the customer his choice.

Between these instruments, I bought a Deep throat dial gauge for accurately measuring plate thickness everywhere, and have a unprecedented and precise knowledge of V9’s plates. IMO, it is not so much their absolute dimension as the consistency of the thickness, particularly in the top plate. We’ll see.