View Single Post
Old 06-22-2017, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaferL View Post
Hello all,
I recently purchased a Yamaha A3R (not the new version) and I've found the action is extremely high and the intonation being pretty bad; particularly on the low E.

Currently I have light (11 gauge) strings on but I was going to switch to extra light (10 gauge) and I just saw online, some guy saying that you should switch to that lower gauge before adjusting the action etc. because that might fix it.

That doesn't sound right to me but I could be wrong and would appreciate any advice.

I'm going to take it to a local luthier on Saturday for adjustments and was originally planning to have him re-string for me.

What do you all think?
The advice you heard regarding strings and action makes no sense.
Pretty much every Yamaha I have owned came with an unacceptably high factory action. Your intonation is probably fine, but the set up is where the problem lies. Fretting a string with a very high action will sharpen the fretted note; any intonation issues will be very noticeable, especially when playing chords with both fretted and open strings.
Get your tech to lower the action to your preference-for me the action at the nut is a crucial component for playing comfort-and tell him which string gauge you prefer. Your Yamaha will magically be transformed. The lower the action (especially as you progress up the neck), the more your guitar will play in tune with itself. There is a trade-off point though; too low and you lose tone and volume, so a happy compromise needs to be reached, and only your hands and ears can assess what is right for you.
Good luck.

Last edited by AndrewG; 06-22-2017 at 04:15 AM.