View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Default The Group of Seven Guitar Project

Back in 2012 I remember hearing through the grapevine that Linda Manzer had an idea about partnering with a gallery to assemble a show that compared Jean Larrivee and some of his first apprentices with the Group of Seven artists. The comparison was maybe a little tenuous, but what the heck … I’m game!

The Group of Seven was officially formed in 1920 and with the notable exception of our rich heritage of indigenous art, their “Algonquin School” of painting was the first distinctly Canadian style. Before this collective was formed, if you said the words “Canadian art”, you would be hard pressed to bring an image to mind. After the success of these iconic painters, all of Canada would visualize wind swept landscapes rendered in a bold and unique style.

In a similar vein, I believe Linda’s thinking was that before Jean Larrivée and his early apprentices, if you said the words “Canadian guitar”, you’d be hard pressed to come up with an image. After Jean … you could conjure images of tight waisted instruments with classical influenced mosaic rosettes, clear pickguards and later, side ports, arm bevels and wedged bodies. Most of these features are prevalent across our profession today, but back in the seventies and early eighties, they often represented the Larrivée lineage of luthiers.

In any event, Linda decided to initiate meetings with some of the early Larrivée apprentices to knock around some ideas. We’d meet in coffee shops and bat around ideas that at the time I thought were ambitious to say the least. Linda felt the project should include an installation at a major art gallery and a feature length documentary film. I didn’t think the whole thing had a chance of getting off the ground but it was a hoot getting together with the old gang and having lots of laughs!

Well … never underestimate Linda Manzer. This May 6th will see the opening of The Group of Seven Guitar Project at the prestigious McMichael Canadian Art Collection. The documentary by award winning Riddle Films will premier at the Bell/TIFF Lightbox Theatre on May 10th.

Our official guitar Group of Seven Guitar luthiers are Sergei de Jonge, Tony Duggan-Smith, George Gray, Jean Larrivée, William “Grit” Laskin, Linda Manzer and myself, David Wren. I really wish though that a project like this could include all of the amazing luthiers who have earned the kind of exposure and recognition that this exhibit provides. There are just so many talented builders in Canada who have come out of the Larrivee tradition, and a good many who have taken a different path as well. The very first that comes to mind is Gordon Barry. Gordon apprenticed and worked with Jean over thirty years ago, and since then has created a body of work that has distinguished him as a world class luthier. Many many other builders come to mind as well … you know who you are. I really wish that it was the Group of Seventy-Seven!

Over the next month or so, I’d like to post some images and give updates regarding this show that I’m honored to be a part of. I hope you’ll indulge me.

Last edited by David Wren; 04-09-2017 at 01:51 PM.