View Single Post
Old 08-10-2022, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

Default Build Day 3

So it is now day day 3 of my student guitar build journey and we begin the morning by getting the top flush with the sides. We started by rough sanding on the the large table belt sander. Here I complete the task using a combination file/rasp taking care not to scatch up the maple sides.

day3_1filing back to sides.jpg

Next on the agenda is to carve the top braces. Building on the skill level (cough, cough) gained yesterday on the back braces, I tackle the top braces and sculpt them into shape. This is mostly delicate chisel work.....

day3_2carving top braces.jpg

however, I also get to use this cool little scoop plane that is shaped so that it cuts the concave curvature into the brace.

day3_3using scalloping plane.jpg

After I complete the the carving of the braces I spend a good deal of time attacking them with sand paper to smooth out and contour all the areas where the chisel wasn't quite as cooperative as I had hoped. While working a chisel is certainly not difficult, mastering the proper angle and amount of pressure to get the tool to cut as you want definitely takes practice.

With the top braces completed we take a break for lunch in order to fortify myself for what is to come next.... the dreaded and much talked about... Watusi!!!

In this step the sides, linings, heel and end blocks all must be sanded into the same curvature to match the top. This is accomplished on an ancient round torture device (just kidding) with the proper curved diameter cut into the bowl and covered with 60 grit paper. The goal is to twist and turn the entire mold until the rim assembly matches the curve of the bowl. Sounds simple enough right?

While not difficult, this is by far the most physical part of the week. You are going to sweat and need to take breaks. It is also a bit deceptive. Since at first only a small portion of the wood is touching the outer rim of the bowl, the progress in the sanding is relatively fast, giving the false sense that this would not be so bad. As the sandpaper and twisting motion did its work the rim assembly sunk deeper into the bowl and more effort was needed to over come the additional friction caused by the addition wood now contacting the sanding surface. With time and perserverance (and alot of twisting and turing), the wood was sanded into shape.

day3_4watusi.jpg

After the afternoon aerobics were completed, we moved on to more sedate tasks such as working on the neck. Here we are installing the carbon fiber reinforcement. Note the channel for the truss rod has already been routed at this time.

day3_5carbon fiber neck.jpg

Next we trim the fret board to rough shape

day3_rough cut fretboard.jpg

While Steve and I were working on the neck, Ryan does some final touch up sanding on the inside of the guitar and adds the label to the back. Dang, that is pretty. Wait..... what..... is that my name on the label??

day3_6pretty inside.jpg

The agenda says the "must be completed" step for Day 3 is to close the box. So next I again use the dental tools to mark where the lining pockets must be cut to allow the top braces to fit. Feeling more comfortable the second time around, I rout the lining pockets.

day3_7routing top lining3511.jpg

And Day 3 comes to an end with the top being glue onto the sides and a close box is accomplished.

day3_8top glue in place.jpg