View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raduray View Post
The reason I resurrected this thread is that I'm seeing some slop (backlash) in my 2016 812CE 12 Fret. Much more than what I had with my old 312CE. Here's a video I took that shows it: https://youtu.be/tC_qwMo7mZ4 . The video was taken with the string detuned so there was no string tension. I tried this on several different tuners on this guitar and they were all the same. Tightening the screw on the end of the screw gear did not make a difference.

I reached out to Taylor and their response was "Since you're seeing the same thing on all the tuners I'd have to say that's just the way they are."

Is this slop excessive or am I being unrealistic in my expectation?

I reached out to StewMac and they indicated the Waverlys would have significantly less backlash, so I'm considering getting getting these http://tinyurl.com/y8skmgod. Don't know if it's worth the extra $30 to go from nickel to gold finish.
This is a good perspective. One of the mistakes a lot of people make is mis-attributing tuning issues with tuning machines. Unless broken or made wrong a tuner can't slip or lose tuning tension even when sloppy like yours. Once the string tension is applied any movement is already taken up.

What backlash can do, is make it more difficult to tune and adjust because you have this precision knob you are turning that isn't responding with precision.

The quality of gear cuts and overall workmanship will make a big difference on the backlash and that's where high end tuners are better.

For the Taylors, you have to decide if that hand-feel and precision while tuning is worth it to you. For me, I rate the tapered shaft as a better benefit so I like them.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240