View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritShooter View Post
In my search and quest for a set of microphones, I asked a number of questions here. I received what I consider to be excellent recommendations and opinions.

As a result, I have visited a number of stores, listened to probably 6 or 8 pair of mics and I am starting to develop a discerning ear for what I can only describe as my opinion of the good, the bad and the ugly.

Which brings me to an interesting point.

I was reading another internet site recently where someone had asked for an opinion on XYZ microphones ( I would rather not mention the brand or model). A number of folks came out with recommendations against buying these mics due to them being too noisy and too bright and not neutral. Yet, another responder who owned several pair amongst others, gave a highly favorable review. Anyway, I had not heard these particular mics and as such didn't give it much thought.

Anyway, yesterday I was invited to one of the local university recording studios by a friend of a friend. The engineer was in the process of setting up for a string quartet. I noticed that he had selected the exact mics that the folks on the other board had proclaimed as noisy, bright and not neutral.

I politely asked the engineer about the mics he selected. He told me that they are amazingly neutral or flat, they had the ability to capture the delicate tones of the string instruments in a way that he loved. I asked about noise, he looked at me and chuckled. He asked me where I heard that. I felt kind of embarrassed but told him. He looked at me, chuckled and called me into the control room where he proceeded to play a recording of a solo female student violinist made the previous day with those exact mics. He had me listen to the soft, elegant and subtle tones, the openness and presence of the atmosphere and asked me what I thought.

I laughed and told him that he should gift them to me as they sounded horrific. He looked up and realized that I was joking. He them went on to tell me that there are many experts on the internet, many who are quite experienced and well versed trying to genuinely help folks. And then there are those that have never used a particular item, heard or read something that they think they heard, even though they never used the product but felt compelled to give an opinion. For no other reason than they could.

He suggested that I listen to every mic I could, and purchase the best sounding mics that I felt would do the job that I needed done. That mics are tools and as such I should pick the proper tool based upon my ears and not some internet opinion.

So in re-reading discussions here, I am pleased to see that so many of the experienced regulars offering help to those of us that are less experienced provide valuable insight based upon their experience. Basically echoing what this recording engineer told me.

So I just want to thank everyone here that takes the time to respond and offer help when I am sure they would rather be playing and recoding.

I am close to decision, and my choice is not what I initially expected. Imagine that!

Thanks
I spent the whole day Listening , to Samples of the AKG C214's today .
I am about to get a used one in my collection .
The stereo set doesn't look bad