View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 12:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
unlike, say, a dynamic which will also tail off at high frequencies but reacts to transients like a drunk trying to recite "she sells sea shells by the sea shore".
I've heard people get good sounds from dynamics. They wouldn't be my #1 choice, but they might even be a good choice for Bob with his poor room acoustics. I once was at a live show when Laurence Juber was setting up, and he was offered his choice of guitar mic from a fairly big box of mics. He chose an SM58, which really surprised me. I asked him why later, when there were condensers in that box. He said he thought of the guitar as having a vocal-like quality, so a vocal mic worked great on them. This was live, of course, and he favors Schoeps for recording these days as far as I know, but it was an interesting comment.

Quote:
ADK A6. I think it's a nice, versatile mic.
Seems to be a popular budget choice. I haven't come across any in person. I notice that ADK only claims they are "relatively" neutral sounding :-) These would seem to me to reinforce the idea that even an inexpensive mic can sound fine. I can imagine in that price range one does want to be a little careful to pick something you've at least verified can sound good.

Your samples all sound very nice. Thanks for sharing!