View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

I started a similar thread back in 2012 along the same lines, "How we got started recording " but I think it's a good idea for a redo because there are many new contributors here now

Like others as a teenager I tried with a simple stereo cassette in the mid 60's but it sounded so bad I gave up.

Thru some fortunate circumstances in 2002, I got the chance (for free) to knock out about 8 songs in a high end Post Production studio in midtown Manhattan one Sunday afternoon. It was a Pro Tools TDM system with acoustically accurate control rooms to record in , and using two Neumann U87 ai mics, one on my acoustic guitar and one for vocal. I was hooked.

When I got back to Wyoming in the spring of 2003 I bought a home studio system. A Digi- 002 8 channel console mixer, with Pro Tools LE , an Apple G4 laptop. And an inexpensive Studio Projects C1 LDC (I think) mic, and dove in.....And some KRK 8 " monitor spks.

As jim1960 noted the pres in the 002 were also marginal at best, and coupled with the cheap Studio Projects mic I was frustrated when A/B ing against the CD of songs I recorded in NYC. As noted it was quite brittle sounding comparatively.

I bought a Focusrite ISA series 220 single Channel Strip which was slightly better sounding .
Then a Apogee Rosetta 200 2 channel converter again some slight improvement.

I finally gave up on the Studio Projects and went in search of something better ended up with a pair of Shure KSM 44 s good improvement

A few years later I decided to try to find something like the Neumann U 87. Sold the 44's and ended up with a Brauner Phantom V . Pretty significant improvement.

I then set out to get a Mic Pre-Amp, after about a year of searching I bought an A Designs MP2A tube 2 channel pre , after playing and singing through one.

Next in January 2011 I made a big change. I sold the 002 and got an Avid Omni interface with HD Native PCIe card and an Apple Mid 2010 Mac Pro Tower.
I also enrolled in a 12 week online Pro Tools production course, at Berklee Collage of music

Then in aprox 2013-14, got a Schoeps CMC 6- MK4 SDC for acoustic guitar

2015 ,sold the KRK's got a pair of Amphion One 18's and an Amphion 100 watt amp.

2016 got an IGS Tubecore 3U tube Mastering Compressor

And finally early this year I sold the Schoeps got a pair of AEA N 22 ribbon mics an ADK Z-Mod 251 LDC tube mic .

I am pretty well set now just need to try to get my performing, recording, and mixing chops, up to somewhere near the level of my gear

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4