Thread: Need basic help
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwellers View Post
So someday if I want to edit the sound by adding a touch of reverb or bumping the base, then I guess I would have to run video and audio as separate discrete channels and then worry about syncing them and combining them.
Not necessarily. A video file has an audio track too. If you load the video file, taken with good audio at the same time, into a video editing program, you'll usually have some capacity to tweak the sound as well. Most video editors won't have extensive audio editing, but you can at least EQ a bit, adjust volumes, etc. If you use Reaper, it's primarily an audio program with some video capability, so you can do anything to the included audio in your recording that you could do to standalone audio, like reverb.

The reason many people record audio and video separately is that it gives you the most control over each end of the process. You can use specialized tools (better cameras, better mics, better software) to create each one individually. And the video pretty much always contains an audio track, but if you recorded the sound separately you just mute that when you combine them.