View Single Post
Old 02-10-2018, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
...Always curious to find what you think of the placement of the strap button by Alvarez?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
...Their strap button placement is odd, though...
Thanks again all.

Regarding the strap button location...though the placement on the heel is odd, it didn't seem to be too much of an issue for me. However, having the button there does create a sharp twist at the end of the strap. On the plus side, the heel end of the strap does not touch the guitar body like it does with the button in the more conventional location.

My main strap is a Long Hollow Softie which is 3" wide and made of leather. Because I wear the guitar fairly high when playing with a strap (my band mates always said I looked like I was in the Beatles), I found the Alvarez to be much more comfortable with a narrower (2") canvas strap. More of an issue was getting the strap (any) onto the Baggs endpin jack! The jack is very wide, and a strap hole will not fit it well without modification.

Here are a couple of additional observations about the Alvarez, now that I have put several more hours on it:
  • This guitar sounds excellent under a capo...better than any of my other guitars! The capoed tone is just about identical to the open string tone. This pleasantly surprised me.
  • Again, the Baggs StagePro (despite its ridiculously wide endpin jack ) sounds great with zero quack. Also, the phase/polarity switch on the preamp yields two vastly different (but usable) amplified voices. Very nice.
Finally, here are a couple of nicer, better lit pics of the guitar highlighting the maple sides and the body binding:

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...