View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 11:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
What’s different between your template and Eric’s? Is it adherence to Martin shapes for the Schoenberg instruments?
THIS IS MY SECOND POST ADDESSING MATT’S QUESTION, AND WHEN I NOTICED I WROTE ONE YESTERDAY, I WENT TO DELETE THIS . . . BUT IT GIVES MORE USEFUL INFO SO I’M NOT . . . YET. SHOULD HAVE FINISHED MY COFFEE BEFORE LOOKING AT THE FORUM.

To the best of my ability, Schoenberg guitars are made to traditional templates. A Schoenberg Soloist, for instance, VERY closely resembles a pre-war golden era Martin OM. In my nomenclature, I differentiate Schoenberg’s from Sexauer’s by by calling a Soloist (OM clone) an ES-15 and a Sexauer equivalent FT-15.

I am married to no specific template for any size guitar. Because I work without molds or similar fixtures, it is as easy for me to make one shape or size guitar as another. That said, as the years pass I have settled onto to favorite shapes and proportions.

My own FT-15 means a 15” wide 14 fretted, and would include Martin’s OM, but is not limited to it. I have recreated my favored version of this template many times over the years as I use heavy paper for the template, and it has a limited lifespan. My current aesthetic take on this standard of our industry uses Martin’s overall dimensions in length/width/depths/string length/etc. but there is some subtle variation in the where the widest and narrowest points of the bouts are placed. It is amazing how little change it takes to get an entirely different aesthetic.