View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggie242 View Post
I have K&K's in three of my Martins. I've been running them thru a Pure XLR preamp (from K&K) into a Fender Acoustic Pro and just can't seem to capture the sound of my guitar(s) despite fiddling with every dial combination possible.

Any suggestions for a different preamp?
ToneDexter thru a good PA system with a flat frequency response is the optimum answer, but it DOES require some effort and possibly some extra expense (WaveMap training and experimentation with a good mic) on the user's part.

For a cheap & easy experiment, buy or borrow a Boss GE-7 graphic equalizer and experiment with cutting various frequency bands. Guitar amps sometimes have their own tonal "personality", as opposed to the more typically flat frequency response of a PA system. If your amp happens to emphasize the low mids, you may get some benefit from cutting the 200Hz and 400Hz frequency bands. Many K&K rigs tend to be too bassy, so you might also want to cut at 100Hz.

Some K&K users have reported that a mid cut around 1.5KHz helps, so you might also experiment with cutting the 1.6KHz frequency band. Just play around with the frequency band sliders and note what manipulations seem to get you closer to the tone which you're seeking.

In any event, the GE-7 has an available gain of 15db (if needed) and a listed input impedance of 1 Mohm (ideal for the Mini Pure). It certainly can't do what ToneDexter can do, but its inexpensive and its great for EQ experimentation.