View Single Post
Old 01-08-2021, 01:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Now that I'll be home more I will have more time for my attempts at composing.

Using the tuning and number sequence is fine for me, but not if I want to share some things. Many of the things I write are just made up out of thin air... there's no real external inspiration which starts my process so most of the time I'm at a loss for naming ideas. What do you do?
Hi Barry,
For me it's usually something quite obvious that will get the ball rolling.

For instance: The first time I wrote something in open D, capo 2, the root of which was the V chord, I knew the piece was 'cross tuned'. I thought about the word 'cross', and figured the song wasn't mad at anything, so maybe it was 'crossing' something. I like alliteration, and had recently visited a friend whose summer home was in Crystal Lake, NY, hence Crossing Crystal Lake.

The same friend, Andy Pitt, heard a jaunty piece I'd written and he said "Howard, that is great walking music!" Hence 'Keep Walkin'.

On my new CD (thank you for the purchase!) the opening tune has me frailing the upbeats with the back of my nail. I just made up a word because I needed a title, and Frailure Is The Option resulted.

Number Three was already named by Ben Harper, but I made it work by making it the 3rd track. I have no clue why he named it that.

Loki's Lament was easy because the song sounded sad, and alliteratively our big male cat had the right name. I tell people he's lamenting not having opposable thumbs for opening food cans when he wants to.

You get the picture. Don't think too much about it.

Howard