View Single Post
Old 12-27-2020, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

I haven’t worked my stuff out, probably ever will. In my improvising / lead playing, I pretty much live in the minor and major pentatonic, with a few passing notes that seem to work. Stevie played almost only minor pentatonic, BB and Clapton played a mix of major and minor pentatonic. If it’s good enough for those guys, it’s more that enough for me. When I’m playing well and feeling it, those notes never feel limiting or get in the way of being musical. When I’m playing badly / NOT feeling it, being able to play all of the DP scales and modes in the world wouldn’t make me sound better.

I have mad respect for the Jerry Garcias and Pat Metheneys and John Scofields of the world, who have almost no limits to their playing. I’d love to play like that, but I’ll never put in enough time. As long as I can get music out of the guitar, I’ve exceeded all of the hopes and expectations I had when I started playing...

-Ray