View Single Post
Old 12-27-2016, 11:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Bruce, I think your work is as Wabi-Sabi as can be - and I mean that as a big compliment. The pursuit of excellent expression instead of the pursuit of perfection.
I have always been on the Wabi-Sabi side of the equation. Not, however, through intention or omission, but rather because that's how it is when working in the real world with hands manipulating wood. I do my best to be at the top of my game in every case where material choices, craftsmanship, and cleanliness of both design and the work itself are concerned, but actual perfection is a moving target and I am still growing as an artisan as well (always will be, I imagine).

There were a few years when I was uncomfortable in the knowledge that virtually every guitar I made fell short of perfectly realizing my ideal. Then I came to realize that this was exactly where their truest beauty was and was in essence their character . . . And that I was never going to get past this "problem" unless I went to production methods, giving up both excellence and my personal joy in the work. Needless to say, I made my choices some time ago.