View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Nylon string guitars don't need a truss rod. I'd advice against it as well.
Perhaps not for correcting string tension, but this is going to open a can of worms in my head now, like do i have to look at carving relief into the fretboard? if i do that, how does fret levelling work on a non-flat fretboard? maybe I can taper the fretboard so its higher at the nut, but then its a flat trajectory not a curve as would be achieved by either carving the fretboard or by adding relief using a truss rod? Because a string vibrates as a curve surely a tapered fretboard would still get buzzing issues at certain points unless the taper is extreme, but then you get a super high action up the neck. AAARRGGHH my head hurts now. luckily this isn't the first question I have to solve

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
It is very easy to do. You can use a chisel, coping saw and/or hand plane, or any combination thereof. Takes me about 10 minutes or so.
Ok, that makes sense, but how do you mark, or know what you have to cut to create the right shape? do you just "see" it? or do you put a paper template against the sides and then mark to that and then cut? in which case how is this gaining over cutting the side to shape first when i can do it on a bandsaw when its flat and then bend it on the bending iron? or do I just look at it from the side and cut til the curve looks even?

Thanks again for the help

David