View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Default Michael Kelly Semi-Hollowbody Electric Guitar?

Any love for Michael Kelly archtop electrics? I can buy a Made in China, used, like-new, double-pickup, maple archtop model with hardshell case for $599. I looked at it today and the guitar itself appears to be well-crafted with good neck angle. The kicker is that the previous owner likes taking cheaper guitars and swapping out the pickups and guts that came with the guitar for better-quality stuff. He figures he can buy three cheap but decent guitars and swap-out their guts for the good stuff for the price of one top-quality ax and not have to worry about damaging a good ax when playing out. The guitar was bought new in my favorite shop, the swap-out was done there, and it's selling it used. Here's the good stuff that's been put in this guitar:

Two Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickups;
Switchcraft jacks and switches;
CTS pots

The owner of the shop bases the used price mainly on the original cost of the guitar, and that's why it's only $599 even with the goodies added. Being that I currently don't have an electric guitar to go with my Fender Blues Junior amp, and mostly being an acoustic player, I thought buying this modified Michael Kelly might be a decent, low-cost electric to mess around on. I'd appreciate reading your thoughts on Michael Kelly guitars and what's been done to this particular guitar. Thanks!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-17-2021 at 08:37 AM.