View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo21 View Post
Thanks very much for the reply — it sounds encouraging.

Could I ask; If a straight edge placed on the frets and then up to the bridge, am I correct in saying that if the edge of the straight edge falls below the plane of the bridge it is concrete evidence that a reset is due?

According to Frets.com an additional measurement can be taken where you measure the distance between the soundboard and the bottom of the strings at the bridge and if that measurement is less than 1/2 inch then it is good evidence a reset is needed.

Many Thanks.
Generally speaking yes on the straight edge. Right down the center of the fretboard to center of saddle. But my mom used to say, rules are made to be broken. So since you have enough room for a setup then don't worry about that now. And all I did was take 1/16th an inch off the string height at the bridge.

The string height over the soundboard at the saddle is a general rule too. I build guitars to that spec but if you need to go 1mm below that then it's fine. I'd prefer not to go higher then that though personally.

I just built a guitar that had what I perceived to be too much bridge rotation. The strings above the soundboard was 1/2 inch on the dot. I built a new bridge and reset the neck angle on it and the bridge rotation settled in at 1.7deg versus the 2.3 it was before. The guitar sounds incredibly better now and I don't have to worry about it's longevity.