View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Thanks for clarifying John. At least in the case of this guitar the actions you took were very beneficial. I'm going to try TI Plectrums on the OF660 as well but only after I get around to putting the Zero Glide on. That .059 is a monster string!
I tried the TI Plectrums on my X7 and the 11s were a little too floppy and quiet. And the 59 IS a monster - in fact mine popped on me trying to get it up to tension so I never really got to play them. But just seeing how big that thing was and visualizing all manner of problems with capos, I tried a set of Newtone Heritage which are very similar feeling and sounding to the Plectrums, but notably less $$$ and the 12 set has a low E of 51. Feels well balanced and loud enough, but not as loud as the Retros or GHS Vintage Bronze. So TI Plectrums are off my list and when I want to play that type of string Newtone Heritage are on it.

My earlier advice sort of stands, but reading "I have an X20 and an X7, I don't remember the last time I played the X20. I play the X7 almost daily." really resonated with me because that's what led me to my decision. So if you had that experience but still had an OF660 for a travel guitar, that OF660 isn't gonna change how you feel about the X7 vs the X20. So there definitely COULD BE a case for going with an X7 along with the OF660. For me, I THINK I'd go with something larger if I was keeping an OF660, but if I were to add a travel guitar now, I still wouldn't trade in my X7 for anything else. So take my earlier advice with a grain of salt, if at all!

-Ray