View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
All talk of finishing aside: oak is a hard wood to work with if you're new to woodworking. I tried making cam clamps out of red oak and it really made my little bandsaw strain - the wood was literally burning as the blade was cutting through it. Obviously I needed a better blade. I can only assume that I'd have to be diligent about keeping my planes sharp and use a lot of sandpaper and elbow grease to work with it as well. As for pore filling, I'd assume that Z Poxy resin might work great with it. Do a search on Youtube for "Todd Stock pore filling". For his demonstration he was working with maple which is also a very dense wood.
So I used my timberwolf blade for the first time tonight, resawing a piece of scrap white oak. Wow. Yeah, you just need a better blade. My band saw only has a 1/2 HP motor, and it didn't even balk at the 5.5 inches of oak I asked it to resaw. I have a 12" band saw, and the blade is an 80" long, half inch thick, 3TPI.

Here is a link to the blade on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's a shot of the wood I resawed tonight. Fairly consistent thickness. I might get 2 whole sets out of the quarter sawn white oak. Also pictured here are the pillow block bearings and the pulleys for my drum sander. The main drum shaft should arrive tomorrow. I'll spend the day cutting the disks for the drum.

Also pictured here are the beginnings of my rosette. I'm thinking I'd like to do a tiled rosette, with alternating pieces of oak and something else.

Last edited by Viking; 06-28-2013 at 09:41 PM.