View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 04:20 PM

Does it really matter what guitar you have ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
So what if you have a less exspensive guitar -theirs too much hype about what a guitar costs or what its made of. What really matter is how does it sound when you play it . Its the musician not the guitar - i think we put to much emphasis on a guitar and not on what it can do -or what can someone do with it --
Don't remember replying to this thread, as I initially thought it a bit of a fishing expedition. Turns out, many of the replies were insightful and interrelated.

I don't have much new to offer, only my perspective.

My simple answer to the question is 'yes'. With the qualifier that it matters greatly to me. As has been pointed out, it is more important what I play than what I play it with. To be honest though, I do play better on some guitars than others. And I also think that a better guitar makes me want to play better. I gotta play as if I deserve to own it.

Most other people don't care what guitars we play, many knowing little or next to nothing about the brands, even if they've heard of them.

There are many brands mentioned by the players here, and everyone has their favorites. Because what you like is a personal thing, there is no wrong or right about it. It just differs from one player to the next.

So the best answer I have is to play the best I can.

To quote Ricky Nelson,
"You see, you can't please everyone,
So you got to please yourself."

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo