View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
While we’re on the subject of sax musicians we should visit in with Charlie Parker - in the early 1940s with the background of WWII going on, it’s been said his style (which of course became very influential) is best understood in the context of rapid gunfire, bombs exploding, and the subsequent physical and psychological damage done to humans, and that his art was a reflection and attempt to make sense of that chaos. Ike might be seen in that context too?
Maybe.

Bebop was musicians music. It was born out of after hours jam sessions, where the gig was done and now the players were gonna play something that was fun and challenging to them. You hear the album "After Hours," recorded late 30's, Charlie Christian, Dizzy, Monk...it's happy music. It's guys showing up and showing off a bit. It swings incredibly hard, but in a different way than dance music. Maybe a way of escaping the seriousness of war, even.

I'm always bummed Parker didn't live long enough to get into the recording technology of the late 50's. The difference in sound in just 10 years from the late 40's to late 50's blows me away. So much innovation.

For a lot of folks it "killed jazz." Certainly as a popular music, it did. For me, a lot of the music I love STARTS with bebop.

Re: Rollins, dude is still cooking! He's made some great music even in the last 10 years. What a groundbreaker that guy is. A true "Colossus."

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz