View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 03:05 PM

Thanks very much guys for the information and insights.

Yes - it's clear in this recording the sound is colored heavily by the circumstances. He's playing through a PA into a big room, and some mediocere mic is picking it up from there. Probably a VHS camcorder, I think digital was just getting started around this time (1996). So we have the boom and reverb from the room, plus the low bandwidth from the mic. Still, I really enjoy the sound from this video.

Any speculation as to what sort of strings he's using? I have a feeling they're nickel wound, but it's just a hunch. Maybe any guesses would be too presumptuous.

Agreed - the secret ingredient is Norman Blake himself. His relaxed playing, his superb control of dynamics, and his melodic mindset. It is wonderful to witness. I'm on a Norman Blake kick, just picked up three of his LPs from the records store this week. Supposedly Billy Strings made it out to his house and filmed an interview/session with him, can't wait for it to come out.

Still, the gear nerd in me wants to know specifics. I can't play quite like him, but I can buy strings and guitars and play pretend