Thread: selling music
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donter View Post
Just recorded a CD. What is the best way to sell or get it noticed.
Current thoughts on marketing music is always of interest to me.

The entire industry has had a paradigm shift in the logic behind actually selling recorded music due to file sharing technology and the internet. Recorded music used to be a marketable commodity because it could be controlled by the companies that physically reproduced recordings and distributed them. All those old controls are no longer in place, so the logic behind recordings has changed a lot.

It used to be that artists recorded and then toured to encourage purchase of their product. Now the money is in performance and the recordings serve to promote live performance and video marketing.

Individuals have to consider that the large majority of recordings now are vanity projects or are made to use as marketing tools to encourage someone to purchase their songwriting talents.

As an interesting aside, I have a friend who had his music available for free on Bandcamp and was contracted out of the blue by a tire company who wanted to use one of his tunes as background for an on-line only tire commercial. They paid him something like $200 to use a tune, and he was happy with that.

Several of the bands I've seen lately sell their recorded work as "download cards". They are printed with a link that permits purchasers to download the recording represented on the card. I don't know the particulars of how it's done, but it works out well and there's none of the difficulties with getting CDs made, hauling them around, etc.

I've actually heard people say they only purchase music at shows as mp3 downloads because they don't want to bother doing the conversion and they don't want a CD that they then have to dispose of or store.