View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
...because you're working with oak!
LOL. You and your obsession with the hardness of oak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Seriously, I tried making cam clamps too and I guess I didn't try hard enough because they came out terrible. I too used oak and the blade on my little Ryobi bandsaw was SMOKIN! Probably the biggest drawback was that I didn't use steel bars so the jaws kept slipping on the oak bar I opted to use instead.
Yeah, that's the trick with them I think. Getting the top jaw to bind against the bar it's riding on so that it catches and holds fast. I don't know that using steel is necessarily the answer though, even though that is what I'm using. This guy used wood for the bar and it worked just fine. His is the video I used the most to formulate my own plan for construction. He used 3 separate pieces of wood, glued together, to build each jaw. Most of the other plans I saw used a single piece of wood and then relied on a table saw to cut the cam slot and the slots for the bar. My table saw sucks so I wanted a plan that didn't use one. I've got a good quality band saw, even though my blade is getting dull. Now I also need a dremel so I can sharpen the thing in a timely manner.