View Single Post
Old 01-26-2020, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Here's another suggestion for your build to make it even more special, unique, and most importantly, HUGE sounding tonally: Consider making it a 12-fret dread. Martin recently discontinued their D-1 Authentic line. I guess they just weren't selling well but those who have/had them spoke of them glowingly. I was recently looking into 12-fret dreads on a whim over on Reverb and came across a custom build ordered by a small shop in upstate NY that I just fell in love with.

They based it on the discontinued D-1 but changed a bunch of stuff. They used all flamed mahogany and gave it a 1 3/4" nut, and mod V neck with PA taper. The result was a super-light, mahogany tone monster that looks as great as it sounds. Anyway, I thought I'd throw that out there. So maybe something like sitka over rosewood D-1 with a vintage toner on the top would look old-school awesome and sound incredible. I like a guitar that looks different from the crowd. Otherwise, why not just buy something stock and save yourself a lot of time and money, right?

If you click on the 'Every guitar related review on AGF' link below in my sig line it will take you to a page of reviews where the top one is for that guitar with lots of photos, a video and even more details about the build.

Better yet, here's a direct link:

NGD: Martin D-1 Custom 12 fret all hog slope dread