View Single Post
Old 01-18-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Fads. Guitarists are highly subject to fashion fads. I can't tell you how many fads I've lived through in my measly fifty years of playing. I think you may have just survived your first "sneer period." At least that's what I call it. There's always something to sneer about and these fads things conveniently come in cycles. I wrote up a humorous article about it, HERE. I just updated it to include tuners.
  • Back in the '70s when I got my first serious electric, a Gibson Les Paul, it came with Kluson semi-closed-back tuners. Immediately, everyone told me I had to shuck the Klusons and get closed back Grovers or Shallers.
However,
  • My lovely wife bought me a beautiful Gibson ES-335 DOT that came stock with Grovers. Gibson got the message and put them on from the start. But when I showed my guitar around many remarked, "Nice guitar but too bad about the Grovers. They change the resonance of the neck and ruin it."
Remember, you aren't supposed to win this one.

However,
  • If you hold on to things long enough they come back into style and begin to be called "vintage!"
Bob
You can add, "You need an acoustic with a cutaway, otherwise you dont have full access to the upper register" (while playing nothing but cowboy chords).
20 years later: "You'll never get a nice vintage tone with a cutaway acoustic"