View Single Post
Old 01-19-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher View Post
Probably not much of a thought, but here goes....

I have quite the opposite problem. In fact it's probably far worse.

I can't sing for toffee. It's the thing I'd love to be able to do more than anything but I'm either tone deaf or severely challenged in some other pitch-related way because my voice is terrible - absolutely awful.

I can play most of the things I want to play on guitar. If I really want to learn a piece, I will just keep at it and things generally improve. The buzz from being able to play a bit more of a tune completes the feedback loop and makes me take on the next bar, verse, tune or whatever.

However, my singing remains, as always, bad. No matter how long I try and sing along, I never get any better. The lack of positive reinforcement means that my motivation drops off far more quickly than with the guitar.

I suppose what I'm saying is that the guitar is something that most of us will get better at with application and practice. If you're stuck with a knackered-out rangeless vocal whine, as I am, there doesn't seem to be a lot you can do!
Well, I bet you're a really good guitar player, which is more than I can say for myself. We all play to our strengths and hopefully improve whatever is lacking. But, I wouldn't get so down on yourself. We are our own worst critics. You're probably much better than you think you are. Keep on!
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF
2005 Breedlove Revival OM M

https://www.youtube.com/@revelrove