View Single Post
Old 02-03-2023, 10:21 AM

Default M80 first impressions

Alright, pulled the trigger on a used M80...

First impressions are not with sound, but size: I struggled to get it into my 12 string :-( Just tiny amount too big, managed with a little bit of force. Then I thought maybe I can just take off one of the holders, and yeah, no need to force anything, but very complicated finger gymnastics ensued.....

Then I just tested if it works, and well, Neo HB is a real humbucker, quiet all over. But my apartment has communist era wiring, and I was surprised to hear some buzz and noise through M80 depending on where in my room I was standing and how I oriented the pick up. Not as bad as when I initially got Neo single coil (just noise), but definitely audible, so I guess it's not true humbucking.

I recorded a comparison on a 6 string, and here's an interesting bit:
- Neo HB - muddy and lifeless, usually combined recording with a mic to get the highs and some real lows.
- M80 in passive mode - gets lively, but the highs are sharp, very dry; different yes, upgrade hmmmm..... I can see it working in a band setting.
- M80 in active mode - .....ahhh, here are the lively NICE highs and real lows! (with 3 on volume wheel it's similar level to passive).

So, clearly it's made to be used in active mode, with passive being sort of just an emergency mode. Or, active for solo/sparse arrangements, passive for loud bands.

Might do a shootout at some point, found only one guy comparing Fishman Neo and Baggs M1, seems only right if I have the means before I decide whether the Neo gets sent away to a land of used treasures.......