View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 11:27 PM

The thought of the doors coming down on my Taylor 700 series just made me reconsider the pistons or at least a supporting/locking brace to ensure the door safety. Thinking about it now, the slight space the door brace would take up in the room is minimal as compared to the safety/security it would provide.

I thought about the size of the door and the warping of the wood, but I have to weigh smaller doors against additional cuts in the wood that would allow moisture in. Hmm... I guess it wouldn't be so bad if I made sure to have weather stripping or gas kits on each door?

Sliding or roll-up doors wouldn't be an option because all the research I've done on humidity control has advised that these types of doors do not provide a good seals. The tracks in the sliding doors always allow air and moisture in/out.

I've looked around online for any humidifiers with ported vents but the only thing I could find are the whole-house humidifiers that install into central air ducts. Although this is exactly the design I need, I only need it for 48 cubic ft. and not the 5000 ft3. it supports - not to mention the $2000 price is pretty steep! It looks like for the 48 ft3., a 10-pint dehumidifier is more than enough. They have devices that are small enough to fit in the corner of the box and don't give off much heat. I'm thinking now that I'm going to just have to modify one of these devices to make a hose drain as these little ones don't usually come with that feature.

So the design and thought continues. So far I know that I'll be using plywood, I know the dimensions and that I'll be using the String Swing Rail System with a carpeted interior. I just need to finalize the door design and dehumidification system.

What are your thoughts on using two (6x4) or three (4x4) plexi-glass sheets for doors? They're light, won't warp and would also provide a nice display right? Hmm...