View Single Post
Old 12-08-2022, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrondack View Post
Out of interest what's the range of the typical songs you sing? I mean low to highest.
I can't say I've ever worked that out. My own range is bass, but I'm untrained, I don't practice singing much, and my comfort limit is G2-C4; I can actually get down to E2 (open 6th string) but not with enough power to be useful; and I can stretch up to D4 now and then. So I very nearly have two octaves absolute max, but only really an 11th (octave and 4th) within that.

So whatever song I want to sing, I'll bring it down (very rarely up!) to within that range. But if a song covers two octaves, that's obviously too wide for me in any key.

I think the only singer whose songs I never have to transpose is Leonard Cohen! I could probably manage some Johnny Cash in the original key, but I've never tried (given my vocal quality, even if the range is OK, I would just sound ridiculous). I can manage most Bert Jansch songs in his key, but sometimes prefer to lower those a half-step or two (easy when he uses a capo).