View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
The Dr-05 omnis will pick up slightly more "room sound" than the cardiod pattern mics on the Dr-07. This sounds like it might be more advantageous, but the omnis on the Dr-05 won't be subject to proximity effect (boosting the bass frequencies) if you try to use the recorder in close mic configuration.

In either case, you do NOT want to pick up the sound directly in front of the sound hole. What you'll end up with is a nasty and boomy recording.

It sounds like you're looking for simplicity, so either the DR-05 or the DR-07 positioned 8 to 12 inches back from where the neck joins the body will give you a reliable, clean and clear recording of your guitar.

If you want to use external mics then you'll be using phantom powered condensers and you'll want a recorder that's a bit higher up the food chain.

If you're new to recording then just get a basic hand-held and stand mount it or use it in a phone mount until you decide you need something a lot more advanced. IMHO you might want to stick with simplicity if you want to evaluate your playing and/or technique.

There are a bunch of recorders that would suit this prerequisite; Zoom H series, Tascams, etc.
Yes, simplicity is what I am after. I have never recorded any music before whatsoever. I just want to get recordings for evaluating playing.. then move on to getting some of the better recordings onto my PC into reaper to maybe layer additional tracks, keyboard, etc. But yes the main point here is to upgrade from my current situation of recording on my cell phone mic