View Single Post
Old 04-28-2023, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Good discussion, in my opinion.

I chose to ask about two recording space extremes to try to bracket the range of possibilities. I agree that “untreated bedroom” is a too-broad example, ranging from bare Sheetrock in a square room to a benignly cluttered space with lots of random refractive surfaces. So let’s say it’s a roomful of stuff with no dedicated sound absorption.

At the other extreme would be Abbey Road.

Where I’m coming from here is that I’m about to build eight 2x4x4” panels that will have a day job as tracking gobos (forming a cave around me and my guitar or voice), and will also go up on the walls to do double duty for mixing and (maybe) mastering. Folks in the know here have asserted that this panel plan will certainly improve the space, and after much hemming and hawing and listening to comparisons I’ve accepted that there has to be some truth to it.

My current question is, how far along the spectrum of room quality will that take me? (Hint: still miles from Abbey Road.) But once I have the panels, will I run into the limitations of my mics and interface/preamps?

That’s where the marketing hype does me no good. World Class.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC