View Single Post
Old 07-30-2015, 11:35 AM

Default Calling all Audiophiles - Hifi Advice please !

Hey all,

I wonder are there many hifi audio enthusiasts on here? I have been into and out of hifi over the past few years. Recently, I decided to get back into it. I do post on some hifi forums, but many people get too technical there, talking about fourier waveforms, crossovers etc.

Currently, I have:
- a pair of Harbeth P3ESR speakers
- Marantz PM6005 integrated amp
- Cheap CD player

I want to do a few things:

1. Get a pair of floorstanders to use in another room - something that is a really enjoyable listen and doesn't have to be "accurate". To give you an idea of my taste, I really like using the loudness button on my Marantz amp, it really adds richness and warmth to the sound. What would you recommend Budget c. $2,000?

2. Get another amp. I believe that there are relatively small differences from one amp to the next. One comment that i can never understand is when people mention that a particular type of speakers "really loves a lot of power / watts" - I mean, surely this only applies to cranking up the sound while preventing clipping and distortion etc.

3. Source - I have a lot of flacs on an external hard drive, so I am thinking of building a cheap streamer from a Raspberry Pi. Alternatively, I will try source a Squeezebox touch.

So, what do you guys think?

Cheers!