View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2b View Post
I'v been playing guitar for many years but never played any folk style, nor do I own an acoustic guitar (have only electric and nylon).

I really like Mark Knopfler, especially his "celtic folk" style(he is the very reason I began to play the guitar, 13 years ago). Albums from his solo career such as "Tracker", "Get Lucky", and "ragpicker's dream" are my favorite.

I started learning his songs as well as some Country Blues and Ragtime tunes (Blind Blake) which influenced Mark's music. I currently play on my nylon string guitar, but it doesn't really suit for that job, thus I am on the look for an acoustic guitar.

These are the guitars I have in mind: Yamaha FG800, Alvarez AD60, Seagull S6 or Maritime, Sigma DR-28H, Sigma Hummingbird, Taylor GS mini, Gibson J15 and a low end Martin of sorts.

Do people here have any experience with the guitars I listed and be kind to share them with me please?

So far, I only had the chance to play the Yamaha and the Gibson, the latter which, quite disappointed me. I own a Les Paul and like its short scale, and the J15 certainly looked and felt like an expensive guitar, but didn't sound like one.

You may have gotten a less-than-ideal Gibson. Which will happen from time to time. But.. of the guitars listed there, I would take the J15 by a mile before any of the others. Sigma is the only other one which would be a potential contender, but.. for not much more, you can find a Gibson (or equivalent) on the used market. Everyone has their own preference, and ear.. but in the end, you're the only one who matters.

I would also add Washburn to the list.. as my Washburn is one of the most responsive guitars for tip-of-the-finger/flesh fingerstyle that I've ever played. Especially at that price. But at the end of the day, I would just say... be patient. Wait for something that speaks to you. You may have to play 20 or 30 or 50 guitars until you pick one up that you're like.. "*dang*".

I can't help but keep thinking that Mark Knopfler does play almost exclusively Martins for his acoustics.. including a signature model.. but if you're budget is going to restrict you to the "lower" tier Martins, (or even the mid-tier ones.. except maybe save one or two..) ..I would steer you elsewhere.

But , again. . it's all about you.. enjoy the quest!!!!

-Scott
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku