View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I've owned/ridden motorcycles longer than I've been playing guitar - by a lot. Many have come and gone. Started in the late 70's on the usual suspects, fast Japanese bikes and slowly made my way to cruisers. Had a Gold Wing that was nice in '95 then back to cruisers. Went to the BMW boxer in '08 and loved that engine. Took a brief detour to big Harley's for a few years but now back to the beloved BMW boxer engine in the form of a R1200RT. It's kind of like an Emerald X20 custom woody - a perfect and seamless blend of comfort, style and performance!

My son - also a long-time rider - went the GROM route for a very short while. He was living in a small seaside town with no a lot of parking so it made sense but he missed having a 'real' bike so sold it off within a year or so.

Oh, by the way, in 'talks' (via email) with Kevin (the new Sean) on possibly ordering a new custom woody X7 to go with my X20!
I got my first guitar in 1964; first motorcycle in 1967. I guess I have a style I like: I appreciate form and function, and really like it when they come together to make something special. Some folks think Harleys haven't changed over the years... they have "a style" but there is constant evolution (not a pun for those of you who remember the change from Shovel-head to Evolution engines); they do what they were designed to do, nicely. One of my favorite BMWs was the R1100RT that I had (72,000 miles on it when I sold it to a friend)... great design that was an improvement over the previous air-heads.

And that brings me back around to guitars... when I look at most acoustic guitars, the general look hasn't changed much from my first one...

And then, a remarkable blend of style and function...

What? I haven't hardly changed? Thanks for noticing. Well, getting that X7 changed my perspective on acoustic guitars: they can look and sound great, AND they can feel great. I haven't been that gobsmacked about a guitar since I got my ES335 in 1966.

I couldn't imagine a guitar being a better blend of construction, tone, and ergonomics. And then...

Yes, more of everything that was so good about the X7, but even more refined style and ergonomics. And, the sound... oh, that rich sound.

Scott, I would imagine the newly re-designed X7 will please you. It may not have the same volume as your X20, but since you play plugged in most often, you control that. My "slightly vintage" X7 kicks when plugged in. While it has a family resemblance to the X20, the new X7, with that gorgeous sound hole, is a thing of beauty.

Sean was great. Kevin has some big shoes to fill and seems to be up to the task. These new Emerald designs are special. I was surprised by the change in the X7 and the design features of the X10. I like that Alistair keeps offering new ideas in style and function. For those who need a banjo-killer, the X30 looks to be up to it. I am hopeful that there will be another "gathering in the desert" like this past February where there can be some new "show & tell."