View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

As I read through this thread, it is apparent that there are views as divergent as there are players. It really comes down to what the individual player would like, and it is by actually playing the instruments that we can know that. I remember as a kid, when the Sears catalog was all we had to see pictures of and text to read, about something we wanted. Rarely, if ever, did the thing, when it showed up at the door, match our expectations. The internet s really like that. We get text descriptions of the guitar and even maybe hear recordings of it, but the real life experience of the instrument is very individual and unique to the player.

For example, as wonderful as Olson guitars are, and as highly regarded as they are, I never could get a good sound from one and they never were comfortable for me to play. Yet, there are many people who absolutely love these instruments, and for good reason. Same experience for me with McPherson guitars. If I bought one based on owner reviews and maybe even a recording somebody posted, I would be sorely disappointed when it finally arrived at my door. These experiences are in no way a reflection of the guitar, but of my needs as a player.

I really took to the Cargo, as obviously does Penny. Many people like these particular instruments to varying degrees, but there are also many who would never own one. I bought a Gibson ES-175 back in the 90s because Joe Pass played one for a long time. It really was not the guitar for me and I ended up selling it. Bottom line is that no matter how many people sing a guitar's praises, it is only by actually trying it that you will know if it is for you.

With the very short scale of the Cargo, you may even have to live with it for a while before you will know if it is a "keeper" for you. I just can't emphasize the "try before you buy" enough.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...