View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
I bought a Cargo a few years ago, and whenever a new small-body carbon fiber guitar comes out, I try it in the hopes that it'll be an upgrade.

I've tried several Emeralds. Nice build quality, but I've never been able to come to terms with their voice.

Anyway, I still have and love my Cargo after all these years.
This comment seems to be somewhat common about Emeralds. To me, you really have to try the different guitars and see first hand which is best suited for you. That is not often practical, considering that CF guitars, especially not Rainsongs, are difficult to come by in peron. In the Twin Cities where I live, I knw of nobod wh carries either Emerald or the Peavey CA Guitars instruments, much less Blackbird. Rainsong is available locally, however at The Podium. Guitar Center did carry these in the past, but it seems to have been a while that they don't stock them locally either. The Podium carried CA Guitars before they went under and then Peavey picked them up. So even in a metropolitan area that is rich with both guitar dealers and makers, there is very little coverage of CF guitars.

I own three Cargos (pre-Peavey), but telling you that they are decent instruments is really meaningless because my tastes in an instrument may be very different from yours. The small scale doesn't bother me ad I can't imagine limiting the fretboard range with a capo, but again we are all different in build and approaches to playing guitar. Make no mistake about it...many, many people complained about the Cargo's short scale back in its heyday when CA Guitars was the original company and these things were selling like hotcakes. Despite the sales, most players complained about the short scale. So that is a very real consideration.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...