View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
On a recent post about innovation someone posted that Carbon Fiber guitars have caused him to loose all interest in wood ones. I never really thought about this given I have and had some nice wood guitars and simply love the look of figured wood like koa. A full koa was a ebay search for me for quite a while but to be honest now I really have lost all interest in wood guitars. Gave my 1939 Gibson J100 Centennial to my son last year for Christmas. He was thrilled but I never played it anymore. I guess I am one that is having trouble going both ways as well.
I have seen this thread and thought about it, and...

With regard to wood vs CF, no. I think each has their place ad there will be those who prefer one over the other for various reasons as has been already discussed in this thread. My preference is not for CF over wood, but instead for having found the right guitar for me, which happens to be CF. I don't know if a guitar with this one's particular characteristics could have been made from wood. However, for a normal sized guitar, I think the preference really depends on a particular person's tastes.

That said, your new CF doubleneck, based on how you have described it, is probably much better in many respects than could be done with wood. So you and I have unique cases in which our particular instruments fare better as CF instruments than could be done with wood. I think those are special cases. For guitars in general, I would say that CF and wood each have their pros and cons (at least to me).

Tony