View Single Post
Old 01-16-2022, 05:46 PM

Default Annoying Overtone on D String

Hello,

I have a Taylor 414CE that I purchased new two years ago. Since then it has developed a weird and very annoying overtone on the D string that is especially evident when amplified, but goes away when fretted.

I have taken it to two luthiers, neither of whom were able to correct the problem or even identify the underlying cause.

Since it disappears when fretting the string, it seems like it could be the nut, however there does not appear to be any obvious problem with it that either I or the two luthiers I had look at it could observe.

Someone suggested "nut ping". I am not 100% certain what that is, but I thought it was the pinging sound that happens when the string is released after sticking in the slot when tuning it. I don't think that is it, but I tried applying some graphite from a pencil to the nut slots to lubricate them. It didn't have any effect.

I've also noticed that the overtone seems louder the closer to the saddle I pluck it, so it could be that as well.

I saw another thread of someone else complaining about the G string on a Taylor, but the original poster did not indicate if it was ever resolved.

Any suggestions? Could it be a problem with the pick up?