View Single Post
Old 12-27-2015, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Sorry, I was missing for a few days. Working at the church keeps be busy around the Christmas time

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Eric, which one is which on the bridge? Is he using a shorter bridge now with recessed pins?
Yes, Mau is correct and I edited my picture post. The Mod-D is on the left. The older builds had the thinner bridge and the recessed pins. For me, they are a little harder to get out as well, but once you get used to them, its not too bad. I really do prefer the look to them, but Jason told me that the pins used back then (also by Somogyi and a few other apprentices) are no longer being made. I think they were handmade pins and the builder stopped making them.

As for the nut change in size, I think the same issue was that the supplier for the wider nut blanks either stopped supplying them or Jason went with a different guy. No specific reason (tone or guitar building wise) for a smaller nut, just a matter of getting the material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Eric, thanks for posting the sound clip. Nice playing especially considering the monster tunes you were tackling.

So what's next for you? As much as this thread has been epic, we're all looking forward to the next episode.

I vote a 00 BRW/German...
Mau, I'm gonna try to post more sound clips soon. That was a quick first take on those pieces. If I had more time to practice recording, I think I could do a bit better. I did this at my friends place and he has everything set up to record. I find that playing on my couch for fun and playing behind a mic to try to capture the best possible tone are two very different animals! I think I move too much behind the mic

As for what's next, I'm not really sure just yet! On one hand, the 00 sounds very appealing because it is a very comfortable guitar. One side of me loves that idea, and the other side is not sure I want to spend that kind of money on that small of a body? I'm a pretty big guy so the OM feels plenty comfy for me!

On the other hand, a Jumbo sounds very appealing for a big powerful monster of a guitar. As much as I love that idea, often times I associate jumbos as more of a strumming guitar. I know that isn't the case at all! I also feel that if it isn't as comfortable as the smaller guitars, perhaps it might not get as much playing time? I am keeping my Ryan Cathedral so that gives me a big guitar in my stable!

I don't own a 12th fret either so that opens up a few other possibilities.
Maybe a 12th fret OM to compliment this one or a Mahogany OM for another good compliment. I also love cedar guitars so maybe I need to commission a first cedar Kostal guitar? Too many possibilities in the future. One problem is that the GAS is cured right now but the itch will come back maybe in 2016 or later? Good thing 2016 is only a few days away!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D

Last edited by ericcsong; 12-27-2015 at 06:20 AM.