View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
What I said (and linked to) was low-carb diets contribute to greater all-cause mortality. And yes, I think keto is a fad diet which will eventually fall out of favor when people have more information about the long-term effects.

It's certainly a good way to lose weight.

I've been on a plant-based diet for 4 years, and have absolutely no trouble maintaining it, because it's easy to get all the nutrients I need from it. The keto diet is hard to follow because you can only eat the carb equivalent of 2 apples to stay in ketosis which very few people actually do. Compliance is extremely low, and no, not all diets are equal when it comes to compliance.

Yes, you can fuel the brain on ketones, so the fact that the brain prefers carbs is neither a myth or debunked. As the study here shows, low-carb diets in the long term lead to a far higher chance of alzheimers, specifically because of protein and mineral buildup in the brain. Not good.

People on pant based diets have the lowest BMI of any group, so not only can you lose weight on them, it's a better way to lose weight and far better for your health. Common sense prevails. Eating loads of fatty, protein dense foods turns out not to be a good idea, which we've known forever. Eating loads of vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts, and whole grains turns out to be a good thing. What we've known for a long time is still correct. That's why keto is a fad. It just doesn't stand up to the science or results.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...135-X/fulltext
I agree, unfortunately there is such an Historic cultural mind set that definitely does not want to hear it. Not to mention the relentless, and ongoing, massive, disinformation campaign mounted by the Ag/livestock industry) Which is very much attuned to and plays on the fact that a heavily animal protein based diet is so long term established and ingrained into our cultural psyche, that considering alternatives is either unwanted , frightening, or simply beyond serious consideration for many.
I myself was for 50+ years a heavy meat eater and thought all this "vegetarian stuff" was foo foo nonsense, right up until my Bilateral Carotid Endarterectomies and Double Bypass operations.

I would agree the vast majority of scientific study proves that a primarily plant based diet is healthier (I myself have been on one for 5-6 years now). But I would caveat and I think by past statement you would agree that diet "and exercise" are really the keys to better health.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 02-08-2019 at 10:13 AM.