View Single Post
Old 05-01-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
The last time I looked at the data, Macs were able to run more old programs on current versions of the operating system than PCs and the difference was significant with the old programs that continued to work being much older than what Windows would tolerate. With the exception of the applications that came with the computer, the newest applications running on the MacBook Pro I'm using right now are 7 years old and they are fully functional. Had you said that older versions of ProTools won't run on the current OS, I wouldn't have felt compelled to refute what you posted but you implied that most programs cease to work and that is incorrect.

Macs are only slightly more expensive than PCs when PCs are configured to comparable Mac standards and as far as I'm concerned, they are worth the extra cost.
I based my opinion on what several Mac-based studio owners have told me. Every time they upgraded their Mac, they had ProTools problems. Conversely, when they upgraded ProTools, more money would have to be thrown at the Mac. If this situation has changed of late, it's news to me.

Re: Windows compatibility problems - Since Windows 95, Vista is the only version I'm aware of that crapped on old applications. I didn't buy into that one and was unaffected.