View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 07:49 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I'M alive!!!! 4 days of camping with the kids . 1 kido at a time for overnighters and mom stayed home. Of course it was pouring down rain as we broke camp. Last night my oldest and I sat around the camp fire and played Greenday on 2 Grestch Americana's.
Yep, you gotta start your own thread.
Check with Blues Creek for wood. John (the owner) has all you need and shipping will be a lot cheaper than LMI. BUT! You gotta get the LMI catalog. It lists tons of woods with photo's, sonic properties and difficulty levels. When I was at Blues Creek 2 weeks ago he had a stack of LMI catalogs for the open house. Maybe he still has some.
I said I would give you a set of "Martin 15" Mahogany. If you want fancier, Blues Creek probably. Cedar top, if I have it I'd like to have it replaced if you use it but no hurry. You are welcome to one of the Martin necks. We got plenty to keep you busy for the first year or so. Next time you are over I will send you home with the Alex Willis (?) Guitar building book. It will give you some "flow" idea.
Using the OM molds I have will save you about $60 in wood and 3 trips.
I know you said you are over the Dred thing, just to plant a seed, I have very detailed blueprints for a Gibson Advance Jumbo.....

I can't get you started till the end of next week though. I am inlaying Walnut strips in the Chestnut kitchen floor and finishing the walls and floors while the family is away to G-ma's.
Make sure you do your chores so you are allowed to come over and play.