View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Agree about the G chord. I play it 234 about 90% of the time because that’s how I originally learned it. I had to learn the 123 and 1234 variation later on. Can’t beat having that free index finger for seamless transitions to C, E, or F.
Exactly. Thinking ahead to the next step of left hand development in this first stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Many ways to go about things that will work. IMO a finger guide between chords great if not creating awkward chord fingering and not causing (unintended) unequal duration of the ringing of each note of a chord between chord changes.
I agree. But it is important first to get chords that will ring clearly. A major, for example fingered 2-1-3 will be easier to play more clearly for most people than 1-2-3 because you don't have to jam all the fingers into the same horizontal space across the neck. Then, with a 1-2-3 fingering when you have to move to E you have to shift all three fingers without and anchor or pivot. Same thing with D. Also, moving from G (2-3-4) to C will allow for the chord change without having to change position, again allowing the beginner to make faster, more natural, more psychologically absorb-able chord changes. Again, here is the "chunking" thing. Learning multiple things with a solid base and small variations. The next step would be to show the relationship of G maj to Em and C maj to Am. After that, we move into Bm (cheater version) then after some hand strength develops all we have is the bar versions of Bm and F#m and Bb (and variations off the A chord). Then major and minor 7ths are a simple variation away.

Yes there are many ways to finger chords, but I feel it is important to teach a beginner the most efficient and versatile fingerings first. Once they achieve familiarity with the guitar and establish left hand fluidity alterations or variations are then easy to teach.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

Last edited by vindibona1; 11-18-2017 at 04:10 PM.