View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Interesting way to finger the A, never thought of doing it that way. I do it the traditional 234 because I like the free index to go to E or F#m. But I see how your fingering can make an even easier transition to E since all you have to do is slide the index back one fret.
The 2-1-3 fingering of A major provides more room as the index rides slightly above 2 and 3 in the fret box. MUCH more comfortable and easier to avoid muting the adjacent strings. That index finger provides sort of a pivot point and anchor so 2, 3 or 4 have a better feel for where they need to go. C and F are basically a variation the Gmajor fingering. I know a lot of guys finger G as 2-1-3 or 2-1-4, but I believe that that method of fingering should be a secondary/alternate fingering as it takes the hand out of first position, removing the lateral feel of the chord changes and is less efficient. IMO neither variation of the G major is harder to learn at the beginning, but if you start with 2-1-3 then 3-2-4 seems far too foreign later on, but I believe 3-2-4 offers an easier transition to learn walking bass from the Gmajor and as you can see, easier to learn and transition from G to C and F (or back). JMO
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS