View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Default Bob, Not A Mac Devotee - Just an Opinion on DAW that Works For Me

Aloha Bob,

I too resent the Mac/PC battles that rage online ad nauseum and avoid them. I am certainly not a Mac bigot. In fact, this iMac is just the second Mac I've ever owned. I just offered my rationale for going the Mac/Logic/Apogee route for compatibility and stability, which for me, has truly been the case so far.

As you say ALL DAWs have plusses and minusses. The trick for players is being able to quickly - and cheaply - discern which will work for them. I offered one that works for me - without problems.

I'm not a professional recording engineer but have been a pro gigger for 46 years. I do have a pro's ears for acoustic guitar sound and have high standards. It is difficult to capture (record) that sound most of us have in our heads, which is why I avoided self-recording mostly - until suddenly, it's time to archive my music. Logic 9 allows me to do it at home.

PTLE and PC's did not work up to my standards (I'm sure HD would but it's too expensive for me). Mac/Logic 9 have. Logic IS just another DAW. But for the mostly guitar players here at this site, who are looking for simple solutions and applications in a recording system, I highly recommend Apple/Logic 9/ Apogee. There ARE simpler solutions Zooms, Bosses, Tascam 388's, Audacity, GB, etc.) that most will prefer. But Logic should be looked into, if only for its full-on pro features, stability, compatibility and integration. That's all I suggest.

I really think that players who wish to record should try out ALL DAW's before buying. What I've found is that DAW's are like studio vocal mics - very user specific. Free samples abound online.

A Hui Hou!
alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 04-02-2010 at 12:33 PM.